The KMA presents the 19th Youth Music Competition on Saturday May 16, 2020. This event is open to ALL students from 5th to 12th grade.
Due to the current situation of COVID-19, the 19th KMA Youth Music Competition is now an E-competition! Therefore, we will be asking students to record a video of their performances, upload it to YouTube and submit through link to enter. Submit your pieces through this link: https://forms.gle/oGDP1pp9w2fVpL1U7
RULES and REGULATIONS
- Date and Time: Saturday, May 16, 2020, at 10am
The competition is open to All students from 5th to 12th grade.
- Junior Division:
This division is open to 5th to 8th grade students.
- Senior Division: This division is open to 9th to 12th grade students
- Each contestant must submit a completed application with a $50 fee no later than May 15th, 2020.
- Your payment (application fee) can be mailed (Application Fee: non-refundable $50.00 (A check or money order payable to KMA)) to Korean Music Association
P.O. Box 3315 Federal Way WA 98063
- Instrument: Each performer will play one or two selections of contrasting styles from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods within 10 minutes.
- Voice: Choose two art songs from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods, or one aria from operas within 10 minutes. Only classical music and the original arrangement are accepted.
- Every contestant must perform by memory.
- Each contestant is required to provide his/her own accompanist.
- Bring two copies of music for judges.
- Entrants must check in 30 minutes before their performance.
- If 10 minutes of allotted time is exceeded, judges will stop the performance.
- The judges’ decisions are final and may not be appealed.
- Our Adjudicators
- Maria Sampen: Professor of Violin and Chair, Department of Strings, University of Puget Sound
- Tanya Stambuk: Professor of Piano and Director of Keyboard Studies, University of Puget Sound
- Prizes, Awards Ceremony, and Winners Recital
- The Grand prize winner of the entire competition will receive a $500 scholarship award
- Each division will be awarded First Place: $200, Second Place: $100, and Honorable Mentions.
- Selected winners will have an opportunity to perform in a concert at the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church on May 23. Detailed information will be emailed to the winners.