The Korean Music Association presents the 18thYouth Music Competition on Saturday, May 18, 2019in Holy Trinity Lutheran Church. This event is open to all students from 5thto 12thgrade
Rules and Regulations
- Date and Place
- Date: Saturday, May 18, 2019
- Place: Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in Mercer Island
8501 SE 40th St,
Mercer Island, WA 98040
The competition is open to all students from 5thto 12thgrade.
- Junior Division:
This division is open to 5thto 8thgrade students.
- Senior Division: This division is open to 9thto 12thgrade students
- Each contestant must submit a completed application with $50 fee no later than April 30, 2019.
- The Youth Music Competition Application Form with your payment (application fee) must be mailed to
Korean Music Association of Washington State
P.O. Box 3315 Federal Way WA 98063
The application form here and your payment (application fee) must be mailed to above address
- Application Fee: non-refundable $50.00 (A check or money order payable to KMA)
- Instrument: Each performer will play one or two selections of contrasting styles from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods within 10 minutes.
- Voice: Choose Art songs from Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary periods, or solo arias from operas within 10 minutes. Only classical music and the original arrangement are accepted.
- Every contestant must perform by memory.
- Each contestant is required to provide his/her own accompanist.
- Bring two copies of music for judges.
- Entrants must check in 30 minutes before their performance.
- If 10 minutes of allotted time is exceeded, judges will stop the performance.
- The judges’ decisions are final and may not be appealed.
- Our Adjudicators
- Maria Sampen: Professor of Violin and Chair, Department of Strings, University of Puget Sound
- Tanya Stambuk: Professor of Piano and Director of Keyboard Studies, University of Puget Sound
- Prizes, Awards Ceremony, and Winners Recital
- The Grand prize winner of the entire competition will receive a $500 scholarship award
- Each division will be awarded First Place: $200, Second Place: $100, and Honorable Mentions.
- The Awards Ceremony will be held at the end of the competition in Holy Trinity Lutheran Church.
- Selected winners will have an opportunity to perform in a concert of the Korean Music Association of WA at the Mia and Jason Hall. Detailed information will be emailed to the winners.